Mexican street corn salad is the perfect recipe to enjoy during Hispanic Heritage Month–or any time because it’s so simple and delicious!
**Also, I’m happy to say that this sponsored post was made possible by Mayonesa. All thoughts and opinions are my own, of course!**
Food is an important part of my culture (I’m Mexican) so I thought a recipe would be the perfect way to celebrate and usher in this year’s Hispanic Heritage Month, which began yesterday on September 15th and ends on October 15th . This is a little different from what I normally post but I love being able to share my roots, my history, and my culture with you. Thank you for being here!
Growing up Latina, I spent many afternoons flagging down the elote (that’s Spanish for: corn on the cob) man. I always had a deep respect for him. He was willing to face the hot sun and push a heavy cart down street after street just to earn extra money for his family. This is the hard-working spirit that is the life-blood of my culture.
Whenever I taste sweet corn paired with mayonnaise and the bold flavor (and scent) of the cheese I’m filled with comfort and joy. I can flash back to happy childhood summers with one bite!
I’m sure your mouth is fully salivating now so let’s get into the recipe!
This Mexican corn salad has all the traditional flavors in it but instead of serving it on the cob, it’s served as a salad which is a lot easier to eat and serve at family gatherings.
MEXICAN STREET CORN SALAD
You’ll want to head to Walmart to purchase the McCormick Mayonesa and the rest of the fresh ingredients! I know some of my lovely readers are on a tight household budget, but don’t worry, Walmart has great prices on everything you need for this recipe!
- 1/3 cup McCormick® Mayonnaise with Lime Juice (Mayonesa)
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Chili Powder
- 3/4 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Mix mayonnaise, lime juice and salt in large bowl; set aside.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet on high heat. Add jalapeno; cook and stir 2 minutes or until softened. Stir in corn and spread mixture into an even layer in skillet. Cover and cook, without stirring, about 2 minutes. Stir, cover and cook 1 minute longer. Add chili powder; cook, uncovered, 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Transfer corn mixture to bowl with mayonnaise mixture; toss gently to coat. Stir in Cotija and cilantro until evenly mixed. Serve immediately with lime wedges.
Was this your first time trying Mexican street corn salad? What do you think of the ingredients and flavors? I love McCormick’s Mayonesa with lime, it has the perfect tangy kick.
It was such a pleasure to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with you! I hope you’ll treat your family and friends to this tasty salad!
———————- Sustainability + Walmart
Before you go, I did want to chat about Walmart and their sustainability initiatives because sustainability is what this blog is all about! Like many of us, Walmart is working on transitioning to a more environmentally conscious and sustainable way of operating. They still have a long way to go but I’m happy to see them working on these changes (Check out the links below for more info).